Go To A-Z Index

Gov Guide Driving Passenger Carrying Vehicles (PCV)

Calls cost £1.53 per minute plus network extras.

The information/number you require can be found free of charge from Gov.uk.

Information You Can Use, When You Need It
This website provides helpful and convenient information regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

We offer a call connection service, which means you are dialling one of our 09 phone numbers that will appear on your bill, and not the number of the government organisation. This number connects you through to the government department you wish to speak to.

If you find yourself in a queue or disconnected for any reason please call back on the number announced on your call. Alternatively, the contact number can be found on the required organisations website. We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation, but act simply as a cost effective information assistance service.

If you need to apply for, renew or replace a licence, or have any other vehicle enquiry, you may also contact Drivers' Customer Services, Correspondence Team, DVLA, SA6 7JL or the Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, SA99 1AR. You also may be able to use the vehicle and licensing services at a Post Office®.

You are in the Drivers License & ID. If you are looking for Drivers License & ID information dvlaguide.com is the right site for you. In this section you-ll find out how to apply, renew and replace your drivers license, how to update any name or address changes, how to apply motorcycle license, or what medical rules apply to drivers

This site, dvlaguide.com, also covers the specifics for learners and new drivers, vehicle registration, taxing your vehicle, MOTs, how to SORN a vehicle, what forms you need and DVLA hours and locations.

Driving Passenger Carrying Vehicles (PCV)

Exempted Passenger Carrying Vehicles

If you hold a full category B (car) driving licence you can drive any of the vehicles listed below:

  1. a passenger carrying vehicle manufactured more than 30 years before the date when it is driven and not used for hire or reward or for the carriage of more than 8 passengers
  2. a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats provided the following conditions are met:
    1. the vehicle is used for social purposes by a non-commercial body but not for hire or reward
    2. the driver is aged 21 iii. the driver has held a car (category B) licence for at least 2 years
    3. the driver is providing the service on a voluntary basis
    4. the minibus maximum weight is not more than 3.5 tonnes or 4.25 tonnes including any specialist equipment for the carriage of disabled passengers
    5. if the driver is aged 70 or over, is able to meet the health standards for driving a D1 vehicle

When driving a minibus under these conditions you cant receive any payment or consideration for doing so other than out of pocket expenses or tow any size trailer; you may only drive minibuses in this country. Drivers aged 70 or over will need to make a special application, which involves meeting higher medical standards.

If you hold a full category D (PCV) driving licence can also drive a passenger carrying recovery vehicle. This is defined as a vehicle (not being an articulated goods vehicle combination) which has an unladen weight not exceeding 10.2 tonnes is being operated by the holder of a public service vehicle (PSV) operator’s licence and, is being used for the purpose of:

  1. proceeding to or returning from, a place where assistance is to be, or has been, given to a damaged or disabled passenger-carrying vehicle
  2. giving assistance to or moving a disabled passenger-carrying vehicle or moving a damaged vehicle

Minimum Age

Drivers of exempted passenger carrying vehicles and any vehicle, which weighs more than 7.5 tonnes can be driven from the age of 21 years.