Go To A-Z Index

Gov Guide MOT Certificates

Calls cost £1.53 per minute plus network extras.

The information/number you require can be found free of charge from Gov.uk.

Information You Can Use, When You Need It
This website provides helpful and convenient information regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

We offer a call connection service, which means you are dialling one of our 09 phone numbers that will appear on your bill, and not the number of the government organisation. This number connects you through to the government department you wish to speak to.

If you find yourself in a queue or disconnected for any reason please call back on the number announced on your call. Alternatively, the contact number can be found on the required organisations website. We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation, but act simply as a cost effective information assistance service.

If you need to apply for, renew or replace a licence, or have any other vehicle enquiry, you may also contact Drivers' Customer Services, Correspondence Team, DVLA, SA6 7JL or the Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, SA99 1AR. You also may be able to use the vehicle and licensing services at a Post Office®.

You are in the Drivers License & ID. If you are looking for Drivers License & ID information dvlaguide.com is the right site for you. In this section you-ll find out how to apply, renew and replace your drivers license, how to update any name or address changes, how to apply motorcycle license, or what medical rules apply to drivers

This site, dvlaguide.com, also covers the specifics for learners and new drivers, vehicle registration, taxing your vehicle, MOTs, how to SORN a vehicle, what forms you need and DVLA hours and locations.

MOT Certificates

MOT Certificates Have Changed

The way information is held about MOT tests has changed. Records of test results are now held on a secure central database. This change hasn't affected your actual MOT test but it has affected the way you check the MOT history. All MOT testing stations have been connected to the central database. When your vehicle is tested at one of the ‘computerised’ testing stations your test record will be entered onto the new database and you'll receive a new style certificate (A4 size).

  • Computerisation of the MOT scheme
  • Information for MOT Garages and Testers Opens new window

About the new MOT Certificate

The new MOT certificate is your receipt for the MOT test. It shows the information that's held on the MOT database. The certificate is no longer proof of an MOT and shouldn't be relied on as such. Only the computer record can prove a vehicle has a valid MOT. Under the new system any recommended advisory work would normally be shown on a new Advisory Notice and will be given to you at the time of the test.

Note: The police may still require sight of your MOT certificate so please keep it in a safe place.

Check an MOT record here

The Need for an MOT Certificate

It is generally an offence to use on a public road, a vehicle of testable age that doesn't have a current test certificate, except when:

  • taking it to a test station for a test booked in advance
  • bringing it away from a test station after it has failed the test, to a place of repair
  • taking it to or bringing it away from a place where, by previous arrangement, repairs are to be made or have been made to fix the problems that caused the vehicle to fail its test

Even in the above circumstances you may still be prosecuted for driving an unroadworthy vehicle if it doesn't comply with various Regulations affecting its construction and use. Additionally the insurance may not be valid.

It is your responsibility as the vehicle owner to ensure that the due MOT test is carried out in time. Please use the peel off reminder sticker on the front of the MOT certificate and put it in a place where you'll be reminded of the expiry date, such as. the sun visor or the back of the tax disc holder facing inside the vehicle.

You should take your MOT Certificate with you when you apply for a new tax disc at a Post Office. This is unless the vehicle is not subject to MOT testing because of its age or type. If you have a new style MOT certificate you can choose to relicence your vehicle online.

Don't for get the police (not the band) are also entitled to see an MOT certificate for a vehicle that's required to have one.

A test certificate relates only to the condition of testable items at the time of the test and should not be regarded as:

  • evidence of their condition at any other time
  • evidence of the general mechanical condition of the vehicle
  • evidence that the vehicle fully complies with all aspects of the law on vehicle construction and use

Checking the Authenticity of an MOT Certificate

If you have reason to believe the certificate you have been issued isn't genuine please contact the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) MOT enquiry line on 08703 300 444. Calls are charged at the national rate.

Contact VOSA here.

Replacing Lost or Damaged MOT Certificates

If you have lost or damaged your MOT certificate, you can obtain a duplicate from any MOT Testing Station.

You'll need to provide the vehicle registration mark and either the original MOT test number or document reference number, shown on the V5C registration certificate issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

The maximum fee for a duplicate certificate for a car is £10.00.