Go To A-Z Index

How To Guides Know Your Rights

Calls cost £1.53 per minute plus network extras.

The information/number you require can be found free of charge from Gov.uk.

Information You Can Use, When You Need It
This website provides helpful and convenient information regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

We offer a call connection service, which means you are dialling one of our 09 phone numbers that will appear on your bill, and not the number of the government organisation. This number connects you through to the government department you wish to speak to.

If you find yourself in a queue or disconnected for any reason please call back on the number announced on your call. Alternatively, the contact number can be found on the required organisations website. We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation, but act simply as a cost effective information assistance service.

If you need to apply for, renew or replace a licence, or have any other vehicle enquiry, you may also contact Drivers' Customer Services, Correspondence Team, DVLA, SA6 7JL or the Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, SA99 1AR. You also may be able to use the vehicle and licensing services at a Post Office®.

Know Your Rights When You Purchase A Car In The UK

Car Purchase (from a dealer)

If you buy a car from a motor dealer you enter into a legally binding contract governed by the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 and the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002). When you buy from a motor trader you have the right to expect the car to be:

  • of satisfactory quality
  • fit for its purpose, including any special purpose made known to the seller
  • as described

If you have bought a car from a trader which turns out to be faulty or which you think has been mis-described, you need to take action straight away.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Consumer Credit Act 1974 say that if you can show the goods to be faulty or mis-described, you have “for a short time after purchase” a right to reject the goods and get a refund of the purchase price.

You should contact Consumer Direct for advice. Telephone: 08454 04 05 06.

You may also want to contact Trading Standards for further advice. If Consumer Direct or Trading Standards advise you that you have a strong case, you may need legal advice. For legal advice, you should start with the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Car Purchase (private)

When buying a car privately, the rule is to ‘let the buyer beware’. It is up to you to find out whether the car is of satisfactory quality, to make your own checks on what you are told and to take responsibility for your choice, as the seller is not liable for the satisfactory quality of the vehicle.

You are still entitled to expect the car to be ‘as described.’ Remember, though, that it may be much more difficult for you to enforce your rights against a private individual.

Whether you buy privately or from a trader, you are entitled to expect the vehicle to be capable of passing an MOT test when you buy it (unless you and the seller clearly agree it is to be sold as scrap).

You can also expect the seller to be the owner or authorised by the owner to sell. If you buy a car later found to be stolen, you have no legal right to keep it. You will have to try to get your money back from the seller.

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 gives ‘good title’ (ownership) to the innocent private purchaser of a car which later turns out to be subject to a claim by a finance company because of a previous unpaid hire purchase or conditional sale agreement. This means that the finance company, which is claiming the money, cannot usually repossess the car against your will.

For advice on this you should contact Consumer Direct. Telephone: 08454 04 05 06.