Go To A-Z Index

How To Guides Selling Tips

Calls cost £1.53 per minute plus network extras.

The information/number you require can be found free of charge from Gov.uk.

Information You Can Use, When You Need It
This website provides helpful and convenient information regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

We offer a call connection service, which means you are dialling one of our 09 phone numbers that will appear on your bill, and not the number of the government organisation. This number connects you through to the government department you wish to speak to.

If you find yourself in a queue or disconnected for any reason please call back on the number announced on your call. Alternatively, the contact number can be found on the required organisations website. We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation, but act simply as a cost effective information assistance service.

If you need to apply for, renew or replace a licence, or have any other vehicle enquiry, you may also contact Drivers' Customer Services, Correspondence Team, DVLA, SA6 7JL or the Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, SA99 1AR. You also may be able to use the vehicle and licensing services at a Post Office®.

Are You Still Responsible?

If you sell your vehicle privately or through a motor trader, you should notify the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about the sale using the right section of the registration certificate (V5C).

It's important to tell DVLA as soon as you sell your vehicle or you'll continue to be responsible for paying the vehicle tax or penalties for the non-payment of it. You may also receive mail relating to motoring offences committed in the vehicle. When DVLA have been informed, you should receive an acknowledgement letter confirming that you're no longer responsible for the vehicle.

There are some simple steps you can take to protect yourself from becoming a victim of crime when selling your vehicle:

  • thieves can pose as potential buyers
  • never let the buyer go on a test drive alone. They may not come back!
  • don't leave the buyer alone with your keys in the ignition
  • be careful when accepting cheques or banker's drafts, don't part with your car until you're sure the payment is genuine - if in doubt, contact your bank
  • it's also worth asking the buyer for a form of identity, satisfying yourself that it looks genuine

Registration Certificate

The buyer will want to see the registration certificate (V5C) to allow them to check the vehicle's details. You may not be able to sell your vehicle without one. If you've lost it, you can get a replacement from DVLA. This will cost £25.00

Replacing a Lost or Stolen Registration Document or Certificate

You have to replace your Registration Certificate (V5C) if it's been lost, stolen, damaged or defaced. You can apply by post using a V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C)’; or you may be able get a duplicate over the phone using your debit or credit card.

Apply by Phone

You can apply by phone and you will need the following:

  • you're shown as the registered keeper on the Registration Certificate
  • your name, address or vehicle details haven't changed
  • you have a debit or credit card to pay the £25 fee - the cost of a duplicate Registration Certificate

Just Ring 0870 240 0010

Apply by Post

To apply by post you'll need to:

  • complete a V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C)’ available for download, from any Post Office branch or Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office
  • include the £25 fee (don't send cash)
  • send your completed application to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DD

Selling the Vehicle Privately

You should always keep a separate note of the buyer's name and address. You should tell the DVLA using the appropriate section of the registration certificate (V5C).

How to Notify DVLA That You have Sold Your Vehicle

If you don't have a V5C you can still inform DVLA that you no longer have the vehicle. In order to do this you must write to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR quoting the vehicle registration mark, make and model, exact date of sale and name and address of the new keeper.

Remember that DVLA records won't be complete until the new keeper tells DVLA in writing. Until they do, the police may need to contact you if they have to make enquiries about the vehicle.

Selling to a Motor Trader

If you sell your vehicle to a motor trader, and you're in possession of a registration certificate (V5C) you should tell the DVLA of the sale using the V5C/3 section (yellow) and pass the rest to the trader.

(Remember a motor trader also means motor dealer, a motor vehicle auctioneer, a motor vehicle insurer with whom you have settled a claim for total loss, a motor vehicle dismantler (scrap yard) or a finance company with a financial interest in the vehicle).

If Your Vehicle is to Be Scrapped or Written Off

You should only tell DVLA that a vehicle has been scrapped if you actually break up the vehicle or destroy it yourself. If the vehicle has been written off, the insurance company will notify DVLA on your behalf.

Vehicle Mileage

Entering the vehicle's mileage in the box provided will help in the fight against vehicle ‘clocking’. This is where the vehicle's odometer (speedometer) is turned back to fraudulently reduce the number of miles that the vehicle is recorded as having travelled.