Go To A-Z Index

Insurance Centre Motoring Convictions

Calls cost £1.53 per minute plus network extras.

The information/number you require can be found free of charge from Gov.uk.

Information You Can Use, When You Need It
This website provides helpful and convenient information regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

We offer a call connection service, which means you are dialling one of our 09 phone numbers that will appear on your bill, and not the number of the government organisation. This number connects you through to the government department you wish to speak to.

If you find yourself in a queue or disconnected for any reason please call back on the number announced on your call. Alternatively, the contact number can be found on the required organisations website. We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation, but act simply as a cost effective information assistance service.

If you need to apply for, renew or replace a licence, or have any other vehicle enquiry, you may also contact Drivers' Customer Services, Correspondence Team, DVLA, SA6 7JL or the Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, SA99 1AR. You also may be able to use the vehicle and licensing services at a Post Office®.

Insurance Quote Header

Finding great car insurance cover if you have motoring convictions can be a stress-free process. Autonet car insurance is one of the UK’s leading car insurance brokers. They can cover you no matter what your past, and if you come to them for a quote you’ll realise that your conviction doesn’t necessary sentence you to paying over the odds for your car insurance. Just click, fill out a quote form or ring them, and instantly get a free car quote. Select the lowest rates and save. It's that simple.

Motoring Convictions and Vehicle Insurance

When you apply for car insurance it's important to disclose anything that may affect your quote. The best insurance brokers are meticulous, because if they miss out a vital question it could go wrong for the policyholder. Problem is, many brokers aren't thorough enough with their questions and it’s often the insured who loses out. If a small detail is overlooked, it may invalidate your insurance, or otherwise your cheap car insurance may end up being more costly in the long run.

The main problem is the catch-all phrase in the small print, called by the insurance industry your ‘duty of disclosure’, which translates into plain English as: “Even if we haven't asked you for the information, you still have to disclose anything that we consider will affect the premium or the terms and conditions.” So basically you have to know what the insurer wants to know, even if they didn't ask you about it.

Buying Insurance Online is a Bit Different.

You are lead through the process, so you should be fine. However, be careful how they phrase questions to ensure that you are actually giving them an accurate answer. Also, if they ask you in the small print to declare anything else that may be relevant, you must do it. The general rule, then, is if you're not sure tell the car insurance company everything. It's not as hard as it sounds though.

Types of Driving Offences

Driving offences are split into several categories, with each specific offence being allocated a unique code. If convicted of a motoring offence, the DVLA will be notified and the details are added to your record and license.

Drink Driving

You may be asked by a police officer to provide a breathalyzer sample under any of the following circumstances:

  • If there is reasonable cause to suspect you have committed, or are committing, a moving traffic offense.
  • If, when stopped by a police officer, they have reasonable cause to suspect you are under the influence of alcohol.
  • If a police officer has reasonable cause to suspect you were driving / in charge of a motor vehicle that was involved in an accident

If the breathalyzer returns positive or if you refuse to provide a breath sample you will be arrested and taken to a police station. Here you will normally be asked to provide two breath samples for analysis, with the lower reading taking precedence if there are differences.

If the reading taken is over the limit, you will have committed an offence and will charged and bailed to appear in court at a later date. You will normally be free to drive until the date of your hearing.

Drink driving convictions can carry a fine of up to £5000 and up to 6 months imprisonment. Points awarded on your license can be between 3 and 11, or you could receive a disqualification of up to 18 months, depending on the circumstances.

Traffic Accidents & Careless Driving

If you are involved in an accident, you are required to stop and report the incident to the relevant authorities and interested parties (such as insurance companies). Failure to do so is an offence in itself and can result in a fine and points on your license.
If you are found to have caused an accident through careless driving or while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, as detailed above, you are likely to receive a fairly large fine or a custodial sentence.

Reckless / Dangerous Driving

The consequences of being found to have been driving dangerously are likely to be similar to above but with increased jail sentences and fines.
Construction & Use
If your vehicle is found to be in an unsuitable or dangerous condition, you can receive 3 points on your license. This includes defective tyres, impaired steering or insufficient breaks.


If you have been disqualified from driving because of a motoring offence, you must apply for a new license, even if your old one has not run out. You will be sent the relevant paperwork 56 days before the end of the disqualification period. The forms must be completed and returned, with an appropriate fee to the DVLA in Swansea.

For a ‘Short Period Disqualification’ (less than 56 days), it is not necessary to obtain a new license. Instead the court will mark your license with a stamp detailing how long you are disqualified for, and you will be permitted to drive again the day after the date stated on the stamp.

Reducing a Disqualification Period

If you have been disqualified for 2 years or more you are entitled to apply to the convicting court to reduce the period of disqualification, under the following circumstances:

  • After serving 2 years of the disqualification period if you were disqualified for more than 2 but less than 4 years
  • After half the period of disqualification has been served if you were disqualified for less than 10 years but not less than 4 years
  • After serving 5 years of the disqualification period if you were disqualified for 10 years or more.